Local residents are invited to give their views on proposals to improve road safety and traffic movement on Uxbridge Road in West Ealing and Hanwell.
As part of a public consultation, two exhibitions will take place this month detailing the proposed changes to the one mile stretch of Uxbridge Road from Lower Boston Road to the Lido Junction in West Ealing.
Visitors to the exhibitions will be able to look at images of the proposed changes and discuss them in more detail with council officers. The changes aim to make the road safer, the area more attractive and smooth traffic flow.
Key proposals include:
- New 20 mph zones in Hanwell town centre and West Ealing town centre to improve road safety
- Replacing the traffic lights at Hanwell Clock Tower (Boston Road junction) with a mini-roundabout to smooth traffic flow through Hanwell town centre. A zebra crossing and courtesy crossings would be introduced to help pedestrians. The one-way flow on Cherrington Road would be reversed to flow towards Church Road under this proposal
- Creating a mini-roundabout and pedestrian crossings at the Church Road/St George’s Road Junction
- Significant streetscape improvements which include a better defined town square at Hanwell Clock Tower, wider footways, new trees, removal of street clutter, re-energising underused public spaces in West Ealing
- Additional pedestrian crossings by Westminster Road and at Eccleston Road, Hanwell
- Removal of the westbound bus lane between Church Road and Eccleston Road to provide cycle lanes on both sides of the road
- More pay and display bays in West Ealing.
Work should start in summer 2013 and take place in phases over the next two years.
Bassam Mahfouz, cabinet member for environment and transport said: “This stretch of Uxbridge Road can be difficult for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists alike. Our proposals will make it safer for while also making it easier to travel through Hanwell and West Ealing.
“The proposed changes are the result of listening to residents over recent years and we are keen to hear the views of as many people as possible so we’re putting on a public exhibition as part of this consultation.”
Comments can also be submitted online.
The closing date for comments on Uxbridge Road corridor improvements in Hanwell and West Ealing is Friday, 5 April 2013.