A Brief History of Northolt
The settlement of Northolt is mentioned in the Domesday book as being held by Geoffrey de Mandeville, although archaelogical evidence suggests that there was a Saxon village at the location from the 8th century onwards.
From medieval times through to late Victorian times, the area was rural with predominantly arable crops being grown. In the early part of the 18th century farmland was enclosed in order to provide hay for the City of London, alongside more traditional crops such as peas and beans. A barn constructed in the area in 1595 can now be seen in the Chiltern Open Air Museum. A 14th century moated manor existed behind the present Court Farm Road and was excavated from 1950 onwards.
Northolt remained a rural, agricultural area throughout the 19th century. Its population growth remained slow:
- 1801 – 336 inhabitants
- 1871 – 479
- 1921 – 904
- 1961 – 26,000
The rapid growth of the population of the area during the mid part of the 20th century can be attributed to Northolt’s growth as a dormitory town for nearby Ealing and the construction of the A40 road through the area in 1935. Modern family homes were built in the 1920s and 1930s, although by the 1950s and 1960s the housing being constructed was predominantly local authority rented housing. 3,423 council houses had been built in Northolt by 1963. Northolt tube station was opened in 1948 to serve the growing population of the area. Northolt now extends from Wood End Gardens in the north to Kingshill Avenue in the south with a diverse community residing in a mix of private, council and social landlord housing.
The Gateway to the Borough
Northolt sits on the north-western edge of the London Borough of Ealing, with the A40 splitting the town through the middle and the A312 running from its northern boundary with South Harrow to its southern border with Hayes. Visitors to London driving along the A40 will notice the new mounds that make up Northala Fields, part of the Northolt & Greenford Coutryside Park, Britain’s biggest new park of the 21st century. The 1km walk to the top of the largest mound shows stunning views of London and you can visit the San Remo café, come fishing or use the boating lakes. Please take a bit of time to visit the Northolt & Greenford Countryside Park Society website for more information.
You can also find out more about the park via the council’s website: Northolt & Greenford Countryside Park